27 Important Safety Tips for New Mum’s With Infants
Some Useful Guidelines for New Mums and Dads for Keeping Your Baby Safe.
Your Baby is On The Way.
It certainly is exciting bringing the new baby home and new parents can be a little fearful of making sure that everything is done just right to keep the baby happy and safe. The following guidelines, although common sense, are a great read to remind you what to do and what to avoid while raising your new baby.
There are many great books and magazines with useful tips to help new parents which are also a great investment and of course, doing some simple Google searches will bring up tons of great information to help you get peace of mind you are on the right track to raise a happy healthy baby.
In our fast-paced modern lifestyles with technology dominating our time, it is more important than ever before to keep babies and children safe and Sili-Chic are pleased to share these tips to help you do so.
Important Hygiene and Health Guidelines.
1. Mums must always make sure that their baby is kept clean and soiled clothing should be removed promptly.
2. Babies can scratch themselves because nails grow rapidly so make sure to regularly check that their nails are trimmed properly with the utmost care.
3.Wet nappies/ diapers must be removed often and the baby should be cleaned with soap and water at each change.
4. Take extra care of the genital area between changing nappies because fungal infection is a danger. Before putting on the new nappy make sure this area is properly dry.
5. Taking care of their hair and scalp is equally important to prevent fungal infections, and skin and hair problems that could develop.
6. Dressing a baby in loose comfortable clothing is important to prevent irritation, and the baby from getting too hot and uncomfortable, especially in warm climates.
7. Babies’ nurseries must have sufficient light and ventilation during the day free from dust and insects, and a soft nightlight for nighttime.
8. Use waterproof mattresses and sheets, and in the first weeks consider keeping the baby in your room near mum’s bed.
9. You can keep stimulating toys such as musical toys near the baby to fiddle with as well as suitable soft toys once they are old enough.
10. While carrying your baby it is important to support the head with your hand as neck muscles are weak in infants and a sudden fall of their head can be dangerous.
11. As every doctor says, mothers’ milk is the best nutrition for your baby, it also builds a healthy emotional attachment. Mums must follow a good nutritious diet throughout lactating period.
12. If there is a contradiction for breastfeeding, cow’s milk or suitable baby formula can be given. Your pediatrician can assist you in making the correct choices for your baby.
13. If you do use cow’s milk, it must be properly boiled and then cooled, as some diseases like bovine tuberculosis, are spread by raw milk.
14. Some children can develop allergic reactions to some things like milk, clothing, cosmetics, etc. Consult a pediatrician if this happens to investigate
15. Make sure to apply mosquito nets, especially in warm, tropical climates. Mosquitoes can spread diseases like malaria, yellow fever, and others.
16. A calm atmosphere, and comfortable nursery are important for your baby to sleep well. Do not clutter nursery areas and choose a comfortable bed for your infants.
17. Parents will find it useful during early ages to keep records of growth, behavioral development, motor skills, personal-social development and language.
18. Watching a baby develop and regular assessment of growth gives parents peace of mind and you can often measure height and weight.
19. During the early months of life, babies will often defecate after feeding which is healthy. Later you can incorporate proper toilet training as early as ten months.
20. The toilet or potty training seat must always be cleaned with suitable antiseptic liquid before and after its use and must not be shared by other children.
21. Should your baby show some signs of distress like excessive crying or sporting a fever don’t hesitate to seek medical attention rather than trying to solve the issue on your own.
22. Accidents can happen so get an approved first aid box and keep it readily available. Make a notebook of the doctor, ambulance, and emergency services and keep it readily available.
23. Children’s medicines should only be prescribed by a doctor and the careful note of administering it must be adhered to.
24. While driving always keep the baby in a suitable child seat, properly strapped in and comfortable. This is not negotiable.
25. When you are going out with the baby, keep an identity card with your phone number and address inside his small pocket.
26. When the infant starts taking their first steps always accompany them to prevent a fall or injuries. A baby walker is a great investment while they are learning to walk.
27. In any type of are emergencies, apply first-aid measures and as soon as it is safe to do so, rush the victim to a nearby hospital.
Basic First Aid Guidelines.
When Choking:–The baby may swallow foreign objects or food that causes obstruction. Immediately make the baby lie on their abdomen in a head low position and press the abdomen backward and towards the chest. Stroking the upper back or firm patting on the back is also useful.
For Accidental Poisoning:– Try to take out the poisonous substance by inducing vomiting (except in the case of certain liquids like kerosine & acids). Wash the body with water if the poisoning is external to reduce absorption through the skin. Try to identify the poison immediately and take the victim to the hospital.
For Burns:–First of all, remove the source of heat and apply clean cold water. Burned clothing should not be removed immediately and then cover over the wound with sterile cotton and proceed to the hospital.
For Wounds:–Clean the wound with clean, lukewarm water and stop the bleeding by compressing or raising the wound above the level of the heart or in the case of limbs use a tourniquet to compress the blood vessels. Then dress the wound in sterile cotton and a bandage and consult a doctor or take the victim to the hospital.
In Case of Drowning:–Take the baby out of the water immediately and keep the head in a lowered position, Firmly press down on the abdomen gently blow into the mouth using artificial respiration techniques. Continue until help arrives.
Sili Chic has published many past articles for baby care and o teething accessories. Browse our online store and make sure to follow us on Facebook.
Click Below to Visit our Online Store